Sunday, February 24, 2008

50th Anniversary Classic - Chapter 3

When I took the front fender and braces to get powdercoated, the guy took one look at the fender and said, "That paint looks pretty bad." He suggested that the best thing to do would be to sandblast the fender back to bare metal, mount the braces, and then powdercoat the whole thing. And he quoted a very reasonable price to do it. So that's what I did. He couldn't rivet the braces to the fender so he used cap screws with a cap nut on the outside so as to maximize clearance for the tire on the inside of the fender. When I picked up the fender from him, it was a vast improvement over the previous paint job.

Unfortunately, as I started to mount the fender yesterday, I found that the cap nuts protruded too far on the outside of the fender to squeeze it between the fork legs. So I ended up disassembling the braces from the fender, bought new stainless cap screws and cap nuts, and reassembled the braces to the fender after positioning the fender between the forks.

So here's what she looks like with newly painted/powdercoated tins:



No comments: